"The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps."

Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Halfway Point In Training

We’re halfway through our Pre-Service Training (PST) and we’re inundated with a gazillion new vocabulary words. The good part is that I,easily comprehend the grammar and syntax rules, so that it’s just a question of picking the correct noun, verb, and object which you can find in the dictionary. The problem is that the words don’t come out sounding like they should. Some trainees are taking Albanian and Macedonian – God bless them.

We had our site placement interviews with the Peace Corps staff. They were interested in finding out our preferences as to where we would like to be placed – a city, a town, or a village. They asked about our experiences, although they already had that info, and gave us some insight as to just how the placement process works. I told them I’m open to any placement except a city. Since I’m a TEFL volunteer, I will probably be placed in a village but nothings predictable, as current volunteers have informed us. The much anticipated site placement announcements will be made the week of November 10th. Everyone is excited about finding out where they will be spending their next two years.

Anyway, everyone here in Negotino is getting ready for the upcoming cold weather. Most residents have sawed, split, and stored their winter wood supply – the main fuel for heating. I am anticipating a pervasive smell of burning wood once the heating season begins. Many of the residents are slaughtering pigs, sheep, and cows for their winter protein supply. The Tuesday/Thursday market is crowded with sellers and buyers of the last crops of the fall – cabbages, carrots, green tomatoes, nuts, apples, leeks, etc. The center plaza is crowded with residents taking advantage of the final days of fall weather. The rabbit hunting season is in full swing, so it’s not unusual to see a hunter with his dog heading out to the fields. Kocho laughed when he saw one of the hunters go buy. He said we’ll probably see him again in the butcher shop buying a rabbit or two so he can save face amongst his buddies and family when he returns.

Every morning as I head out, I see the residents sweeping up the past day’s leaf drop. What’s culturally shocking is that everyone sweeps with short handled brooms. Many use dried branches tied into a bunch- but everyone stoops over when their sweeping. I haven’t seen a long handled broom yet. One of these days I’ll find out why short brooms are preferred.

On our hike last Sunday, we came upon a real shepherd. I have never met a real shepherd. His name is Brizzo and he knows Kocho, so we “talked” for a few minutes. He was so pleased to meet an American. He doesn’t own the sheep but he is hired to take care of them. It seems like a great lifestyle. I plan on looking into job opportunities in that field when I return to the States. Would you check to see if there are any courses at one of the local universities that would assist me in opening doors to a career in the field of sheep herding?

I have the letter for Delta Dental. I will mail it to you at my first opportunity. Did you get the postcard I mailed? I’m trying to find out how well the postal system works. Also did you have the opportunity to change my PIN number for my ATM card? If you aren’t already doing so, would you forward my e-mails to my mom through Merzie and give her a call to let her know I’m doing fine and that I love her.

I really miss raking leaves. I actually went out to the street yesterday and pretended to rake. I made three small piles, using my feet as a makeshift rake. It was fun. You are so lucky to have real leaves and lots of them, to rake.

Included in today’s photos (slikas) are: a pic of a retuning rabbit hunter; a pic of a gentleman sweeping leaves with a longer than average broom; a pic of Brizzo the shepherd; a pic of the neighbor’s sons cutting wood into splitable pieces with a type of saw used by many families (most residents still cut wood with a handsaw); and a pic of the local bazaar.

The week ahead is crazy with language classes; four English classes to teach at my practicum school; a class to teach my fellow trainees about the Past Progressive Tense (I in turn will learn about the Past Simple, Comparative, Present Perfect and Future Progressive Tenses). What a deal! I never knew these things existed. I am somewhat surprised that I can speak English so well.

I hope your plans to visit are coming along. There is so much I want you to see and share with you. It will help our planning when I find out what my new abode consists of and how far it is from civilization. I love you and think of you all the time.
Mikey

No comments: