"The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps."

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

First Days in Negotino

(This e-mail was sent during the second week in October.) Everything here is progressing very well. It is strange to be in the position of a student once again. I just finished my language homework and have to now spend some time reviewing the lessons from the last few days. Next week we go into one of the primary schools to observe and meet with our counterparts with whom we will be teaching during our practicums.

Last night Kucho, my host father took me to the police station to register as a non-citizen. Everyone was very friendly and very helpful especially since the instructions for registering were written in Macedonian. Kucho then took me on a 3 kilometer hike up into the hills to show me his vineyard where he grows grapes to brew his rakija and chardonnay. He shares the field with other small time growers but it’s rather large and takes a tremendous amount of work to maintain.

I am sure you are interested in what the food is like, so I’ll give you a brief summary now and elaborate on it at a future time. In the morning, my host mother, Slavitsa, puts out sliced meats, cheeses, bread, Turkish coffee, yogurt which is a beverage here (very delicious) and one main dish which so far has been something fried or baked but always includes eggs and butter in the recipe. Today we had something similar to French toast without the syrup, thick fried slices of battered bread that we ate with our hands.

Lunch, rycheck, is served at 1600 hours. This is the main course of the day. So far, every meal I’ve had has been different and delicious. Fresh tomatoes, with oil and onions, along with bread and wine are at all meals. Home made soup is served , and then the main course which is generally a meat dish (poultry, beef, lamb). So far I’ve had homemade cookies, baklava, and a rich chocolate cake for dessert. A shot glass of rakija completes the meal. At 2100, while I am struggling to stay awake, supper is served. It’s generally on the “lite” side but it includes a variety of sliced meats and cheeses. Bread, avar (look it up online, many people in the village are making it in their garages right now, the air is filled with the aroma of roasting peppers and eggplant) and various meat spreads (unusual for me). Needless to say, most PCV’s put on twenty pounds during their homestay.

Neighbor’s are always dropping by to greet Kocho’s American friend and we have lots of fun while trying to communicate.I’ve been sending pictures without identifying what they are about because I don’t have much time to do so. I’ll make it a project of mine to set up a Picassa site on my website later on down the road. Today’s samples include one of Kocho in his vineyard, a view of a burro cart and a view of downtown taken from one of the building.
Give a hug to the boys from me. Tell them to start saving for a great experience and to meet some wonderful Macedonians.
I love you,
Mikey.

No comments: