"The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps."

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Volunteer

On Saturday morning MAC 13 dispersed throughout the country. The Peace Corps staff was stationed at the major bus stations to help with our baggage. What we anticipated to be somewhat of a challenge, transporting two years worth of luggage and other issued items (manuals, water distillers, electric oil heaters and food and wine from our host families) to our new sites, turned out to be a somewhat painless operation. Our host families helped bring our stuff to the pickup point and our counterparts or new landlords met us at the end of our journey. As a former military logistician, I was totally impressed with the planning and execution of the operation.

It was very difficult for me to say goodbye to my host family. They took such great care of me during my introduction to their culture. They shared everything they had. We laughed a hundred times a day. They answered all my questions and they even ate the ice cream I bought in the winter and tried peanut and jelly sandwiches. I can without reservation that they are one of the finest families I have ever known. I am looking forward to our visits over the next two years.

The trip provide me with some spectacular views as we passed through the countryside and made our way up and over the mountain and into Probistip . Photographers, amateurs and professional alike, could spend years trying to capture the beauty of this country.

My landlord was waiting for me at the newly renovated bus station. We loaded my baggage onto his car and he took me to my new home – an apartment on the third floor of a Soviet-era style building. The complex of apartment buildings was built during the 50’s to house the miners and their families. As it is in Negotino, the outside of the buildings need some work but the apartments themselves are roomy and comfortable and for the most part in good shape. Surrounding the complex are homes that are commonly seen in the villages.

My landlord is a biology teacher at the high school (known as the gymnasium in Macedonia) who lived in the apartment and raised a family in it. He now lives in another part of the town. He doesn’t speak English so we used a lot of hand gestures and head shaking as he was showing me around and demonstrating how to use the various appliances. Thank goodness “OK!” is a universal expression.

We signed four copies of the lease (rent is 7000 dinari/month or $140/month and includes water and trash pickup) and we made arrangements for me to register at the police station on Monday.

He left and I realized that for the first time since I arrived in the country, that I am now alone in a town of 10000 people, the only American and one who barely speaks the language. What an adrenaline rush!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mike,

Merry Christmas to you! Sorry I'm a day late.

It was the usual Guilmette Christmas. Christmas eve was at my Mom,s house. We had a yankee swap amonst my brother's and the wives. We gave the nieces and nephew their gifts.

Christmas Day was spent at my sister's house.

Now back to you, congradulations for pasing your training and moving on to your permanent site. Now it's down to business for you. It's like when a student is going to college and they graduate and they are now in the work force.
I'm sure you are glad you are done your training and will now begin teaching and doing what you were trained to do.

I looked at all your pictures you had on your blog. It was nice to see the people you were training with, the people you were living with and the scenery of the area you were staying.

Back to me now, I'm enjoyting the vacation. It will go by fast I'm sure. Laura and I are having a party tomorrow night. We invited Lee. She seemed interested but not sure she is coming. Speaking of Lee she is still keeping those UPS men busy.

I'll be heading up to Vermont on Sunday to visit the Vermont brother. We will hopefully be able to do some skiing.

Well not much else to say right now. It's amazing that the Fall ius over and we are at the Christmas break.

You'll be home before you know it but I don't want to rush you.

Take care,

Rob