"The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps."

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Setting Up Housekeeping

After three months of living with my host family, I now find myself in the position of having to take care of all those services that were provided to me during my pre-service training. Fortunately, a five minute walk gets me to “downtown”, so once I figure out who sells what, I can purchase what I set out to buy.

Probistip is a small town and it has no supermarket where I can do one-stop shopping. There are four or five shops that sell fresh fruits and vegetables, several meat markets, a few pastry shops, and innumerable small shops that sell convenience foods, cartoned milk (milk is sold in one liter cartons off the shelf, not refrigederated until opened), and bread. I have been able to find all the basics but the choices of a product are limited. In the larger towns and cities there are supermarkets that rival the ones in the states. Someday there will be one in Probistip, but sadly it will hasten the demise of a many of the shops that serve the residents now. I can take a 20 minute taxi ride over the mountain to Kratevo or a 40 minute bus ride to Stip whenever I have the need to add some variety to my diet.

I found most of the cooking utensils and dishes that I needed to supplement the stuff that was left to me by Ryan, the previous Peace Corps Volunteer who lived in the apartment before me. He worked for a non-governmental agency. Cleaning materials can be found in many of the shops. I have a brand new washing machine, so my concern about washing my laundry in the tub was alleviated. As is the case for most families in Macedonia, I have no dryer. There is a clothesline on my balcony and to my surprise, the clothes dry rather quickly inside on cold days when I have the electric heater turned on. Turn-around time for my laundry is now down to a day and a half or maybe even a day.

Before I set out on a buying spree, I get out my Macedonian dictionary and write out the Macedonian word for whatever I’m trying to find so I can ask a clerk if I can’t find it. In many cases, the label is written in English or has a picture so I can take the item off the shelf like an experienced Macedonian. Other times I have to use my Macedonian because I don’t have my list, and this can result in a five minute mime routine starring the clerk and me. Eventually we locate the requested item.

Wednesday in Probistip is bazaar day. On market day you can find almost anything among the vendors that travel here to sell their goods at outside stalls and booths on the town square. The town comes alive on this day as everyone comes out during the morning hours to do their weekly pantry-stocking with fresh produce. I can also find clothing, household gadgets and almost any stuff that I can find at Wal-Mart. The quality may be lacking in many of the products (not the produce) but the items serve a purpose and will get the job done.

So I am now satisfied that two of the most basic of human needs – food and shelter – will be met with no problem by the only alien in the Municipality of Probistip. I can check it off the list of Things to Learn How To Do.

1 comment:

moi said...

Alien? Registered?I guess you are really on your own in this strange new world. We'll be hearing about your holiday celebrations in a few weeks, just make sure somebody gets a picture of you in the thick of it!
I'm looking forward to NEw Years with MArtha and Lee, but we'll all be pining for you Mikail(sp?)
I had a nice holiday in DC at MAtt's new home. WE saw the stands erected for obama's inaugauration, and they're OBAMA signs hanging out APT and homes still. Hope yoou're on the internet by then!!! think of you often, love the BLOG. MArcie