"The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps."

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Up and Running

After five weeks of waiting for T-Home to install my Peace Corps required phone land line and my not required but essential internet connection and my nice to have cable TV, I am waiting no longer. For the 1650 denari installation fee and a one year contract of approximately 2900 denari ($60.00)per month, I have a phone from which I can make unlimited calls to Macedonia Telecom subscribers; 70 cable TV stations; and a fast DSL internet connection (6144/766 kbps)with unlimited downloading capability. The Peace Corps gives me 500 denari/month for the required phone line, but I am responsible for the cable and internet. This takes a little bite out of my subsistence allowance, but a few more meatless meals should cover it.

There are many TV stations that play English language programs with Macedonian subtitles. These could complement my weekly tutoring classes. However, as my family at home can attest to, sitting down to watch a TV show means falling asleep in an armchair (or any chair for that matter). So I’m not anticipating “watching” much TV.

The internet will now allow me to get background information for some of the projects I am planning and to find invaluable references to share with my English-teaching colleagues. It will also save me the $25 Sunday evening calls to my wife as I will be Skyping from now on.

On the 19th of January, Macedonians (as probably do all Orthodox Christians) celebrate the Baptism of Jesus. It is the last day of celebration before the beginning of the new work year. On this day in each town, the local priest throws a cross into whatever large body of water is available and men from the town will dive into the water, competing to be the one to retrieve it. In Probistip where there is no lake or river, they use a very large swimming pool on the outskirts of town. In Ochrid, they use the lake and in Skopje they use the Vardar River. It’s a very well attended event and is the end of the long holiday season.

I missed the first day of school on the 20th, because I was able to travel to Skopje to our Peace Corps Director’s home to watch the inauguration ceremonies of our newly elected President. About 35 Volunteers from across the country made the trip. The director and his wife put on a sumptuous spread and made everyone welcome and comfortable. I made it back to Probistip for Thursday morning classes and many of the teachers congratulated me and seemed truly impressed that Americans make such a big deal out of having a new President.

On the 26th, I again traveled to Skopje, this time to attend Warden training. Wardens are volunteer Volunteers who assist the permanent PC staff in ensuring that volunteers throughout Macedonia are evacuated safely out of the country if the need ever arises. Wardens are briefed on the various contingency plans that have been devised and their role in the execution of those plans. Every measure has been taken to ensure safety of the Volunteers, so parents, spouses, family and friends can rest assured that the Peace Corps in Macedonia is prepared for any emergency that may arise.

The weather in Probistip has been comparatively comfortable with the temperatures in the low 40’s Cloudy and rainy days are the rule over the last few weeks. I kind of miss shoveling and snowblowering (the spell checker won’t approve this word) the snow deposited by the many storms hitting New England this winter. I miss chopping the ice off the sidewalk and raking the snowdrifts off the roof. And I especially miss competing with the ice to stay upright. Truly the joys of winter. (A special special thanks to my next door neighbor, Andy, who has assisted my novice – but now experienced - wife in removing tons of snow from our ice-rutted driveway. Thanks Andy!... and to all of my neighbors who have lent a hand in helping out when needed.

No comments: