"The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps."

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Here We Go – The Birth of a Blog.

As I understand it, there are approximately 8000 Peace Corps Volunteers stationed around the world in 2008. The average age, as I understand it, is 26. About 6% of the volunteers have ripened to the age of 50. I am one of those 6%’ers.

The intent of this blog has several purposes. My horrendously slow keyboarding skills would prevent me from responding individually to my family, relatives, and friends on a scheduled basis. A regular account of what’s happening will keep those who are truly interested, informed. I can therefore offend no one for failing to respond to an e-mail.

A second purpose of this blog is to report a Peace Corps experience through the eyes of a senior volunteer or as I like to refer to us , as a LEEP (Life Experience Endowed Person)**. Being in the vanguard of the baby boomer generation (Class of ’46), my expectations, concerns, frustrations, and perceived successes will most likely be different from those of a 26 year old. Perhaps other LEEP’s contemplating volunteering will gain some insights by reading about my experiences.

Another reason for writing this blog is to educate readers about the people of Macedonia as I am learning about them. Let’s face it, how many Americans could tell you where Macedonia is located?

Finally, how cool is it to say, “Check out my blog”.

It is now D-Day minus 11, so I will continue on my quest to fit everything I think I’ll “need” into 2 suitcases with a 100lb. limit and a 107 inch total dimension[ (H+L+W) * 2].

**Please let me know if you can come up with a better acronym.

No comments: